Thursday, November 1, 2018

Mushroom burritos- stage 2

After three months with little visible activity in the mushroom department, I was beginning to despair that any mushrooms would ever materialize. Though that outcome wouldn't have made the experiment invalid, I was still feeling like a mycological failure. Plus, I had no tasty mushrooms to look forward to! But when I checked yesterday, voila! A bunch of baby mushrooms had made their way into the world!



The paper burritos are the clear winners, upending my hypothesis. In fact, I have observed no activity in the mulch, hay, or grass burritos, and little activity in the cardboard burritos, either:

 

My next step (after harvesting, sautéing, and consuming this first generation of mushrooms, of course) will consist of making sawdust burritos. I'll be using pressure treated sawdust initially, but ultimately non-pressure treated sawdust when I am able to obtain that. I hear sawdust is one of the best substrates, so I have high hopes.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment