Sunday, May 17, 2020

Pandemic mode, episode 9

Today marks the end of my news fast-- or at least when I planned to end it. After a glorious two weeks without checking the NY Times, watching CNN at work, or clicking on news articles I didn't have to read, I'm considering stretching the fast out to a month... maybe even six weeks, though that might be stretching it. Then again, it may not be. The last couple weeks have been fabulous. 

After two months of digging, weeding, mulching, and planting, Mindy and I finally reached a rare confluence this week of beautiful weather, no work, and no urgent chores or errands. Undistracted by the news, I discovered the headspace to fully enjoy all sorts of activities and to be more present with Mindy, Eliza, and our friends. The siren call of the smartphone was noticeably less alluring without another Trump bashing or COVID-19 analysis on tap. It certainly helped that we went on a couple hikes and an impromptu excursion to the river-- Eliza's first float trip (all 100 feet of it)! Though she had a major meltdown on one of our hikes, we still managed to have a great time hiking the Viaduct area with the Hogan's and exploring my friend Doug's beautiful new trail up Rich Mountain on the back side of Moses Cone Park. 

Another key: my knee stopped hurting. I was even able to bike 15 miles this morning without a twinge! And it was an absolutely perfect spring day, with rays of morning sunlight filtering through the budding trees, brooks babbling, flowers bursting, birds singing and winging, and the mountain air perfectly cool and clear. I couldn't think of a better way or place to spend a morning.

Though I've hardly read a news article this month, I've still been able to stay superficially current on major events, by way of conversation, podcasts, a few articles texted to me, and overheard snippets of TV. But the greatest unlooked-for discovery has definitely been the pleasing absence of Donald Trump from my life. Like the orb of a demiurge, his glowing, orange presence has so overtaken our news media that the everyday waking consciousness of Americans has been transformed into his image. Many of us are now as defined by outrage, division, disgust, vitriol, and a reckless disregard for truth as the Donald himself. And I imagine that even those who dimly realize the danger can scarcely imagine an offramp to such madness. 

But I'm here to tell you, it starts with something quite simple:

Unplug.

No comments:

Post a Comment